Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A history lesson

Back in college, I worked part-time as an EMT for a private ambulance company. (Side note: this company went bankrupt a few years back...but shortly renamed themselves and painted over the old ambulance decals with their "new" company name). Anyways, a friend of mine also worked for this company, and I saw him riding to work on a little black scooter. And since this guy was one of those cool guys (you know, guys who wear tight punk clothes, big aviators sunglasses before they were mainstream, and listen to bands that don't even exist yet), I thought, "man, a scooter is cool because it's so uncool." So I bought a scooter.

Wait, I'm forgetting something. Oh yeah, there was about 3 months between the thought "I'm getting a scooter," and actually buying one. Step 1: do your homework. Surprisingly, there are not that many scooter books out there. At least, not ones that fall under these mandatory categories: in press, in English, not only for purchase in bulk pallets. So after a week, I ended up with a general history of scooter book and a book on motorcycle driving techniques (these are actually quite good books to read before buying/driving a scooter, I'll reference them once I'm feeling not lazy). After that, I checked out the few scooter stores in Boston, and found "the one." A future post will contain my rantings on where to buy a scooter in Boston and my brief bias experiences with them.

2 comments:

Meghan W-T said...

The second entry definitely isn't as good as the first.

Why? Because I'm not mentioned. My fans will be disappointed.

Another Torres said...

Don't listen to her, Ray, you keep writing and you keep writing hard. Don't listen to Yoko over there.